Monday, March 2, 2009

Oklahoma's State Rock Song


Today the Flaming Lips' song "Do You Realize" became Oklahoma's official state rock song. The promotion was done with a collaboration between the Oklahoma Film and Music Office and the Oklahoma History Center. And actually, it looks like there will be an exhibit opening at the Oklahoma History Center about the history of Rock and Roll in Oklahoma in May 2009. Go here to learn more: www.anotherhotoklahomanight.org

When I got home from work today, I saw a few of my friends on facebook put up new pictures of them with the 'Lips. In the spirit of the day, I put on my favorite Flaming Lips album At War with the Mystics.

My appreciation for Wayne Coyne grows exponentially as I get older. Despite his world fame, he still stays in Oklahoma, and continues his active roll in leading the next generation into creative, energetic and optimistic community leadership. Listening to At War with the Mystics tonight, in honor of their new official status, made me feel hopeful that it's a reflection that things are going to get better in our state. It makes me proud to be a part of that change, and gives me some resiliance against the critics who weren't able to make changes because they were shot down in the past.

It's important to be aware of the inspiration that keeps us moving. We're all in this together, and we want to make our state a great place to live for EVERYONE!

2 comments:

Amenator said...

I Heart the Flamming Lips! :)

Freya said...

Truly an inspiration.