Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Bing!

Around the tender age of 11, I developed the crush that ate Chicago on Bing Crosby. While my contemporaries were crushing on Cory Haim (or other such Cory’s), the New Kids on the Block, or someone from Saved By the Bell, I was watching the Road To movies with Bing and Bob Hope and wishing I was Dorothy L’Amour or Rosemary Clooney. He’s everywhere this time of year, and I revisit that time of life when I swooned for him like the teenage girls of the forties.

Christmas to me is Bing Crosby. His voice was, and remains transporting for me. He has sung for my family every year at Christmas since I can remember. Now, I reflect on the slow, dreamy quality of his voice that represents how Christmas should be. Meaningful and slow, rich and full, comfortable and comforting. All I would like to do right now is make a warm drink and cuddle on the couch with someone and watch White Christmas and Holiday Inn back to back.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I especially love "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas" and "I'll be Home for Christmas."