Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Sadie, Sadie Married Lady

I’m sure that’s from a musical somewhere. This morning I was talking to a guy at work who had just gotten married. Rarely have I seen a man glow, but this one did, with a soft and serene light. It helped me to firm up some ideas that I’ve been having about marriage.

Some of my friends devoutly wish to be married, which I tend to dismiss. (Sorry, ladies) I’ve seen the other side, I’ve been involved in a relationship which I’m discovering is more dysfunctional than I could have ever imagined. Since most of the emotions I’ve had about marriage in the last few years have been unpleasant, I tend to think that the single ladies are much better off.

But since making the announcement that the marriage is over, I have started to see married people in a new light. My friends the Trents are completely gone on each other, and such a unit. It is amazing to see. They make me wish for something similar one day. The newlyweds glow and sigh, and couples that have been married for 40 years amaze me (even though I secretly suspect that they have driven each other crazy long ago.)

From the outside, the institution of marriage seems somewhat mystical. People wear rings, and talk about their husband or wife, and when they talk or think about their significant other, they get the strangest look on their faces. I can see that if you’ve never been a part of such a supernatural alliance it would seem all important. I’m divided on the whole subject. I swear that I’m never going to get caught up in that again. But then again, the more single I get, the more wistful I feel.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We're gonna feel wistful together. Just like the old days!