Thursday, December 25, 2008

Only in my hometown...

Most of my friends have left their hometown, never to return. Once you leave, I think it would be impossible to move back…well; at least that is my case. For example, I was the poor kid at the private school. I realize that my mom wanted the best for me and I helped round out the rich kids and their snobbiness (not that I didn’t pick some of it up). When you leave your hometown, you realize that you can re-invent yourself and leave old insecurities behind. Readers, you may find this hard to believe, but in my hometown, I am quite reserved and quiet. I often catch myself staring and wonder what I missed by not being in the class of rich and upper class of my hometown. Those 3 women in my previous post on ‘Reverence,’ are a part of that upper class that I am not a member. This is an old town, with old money and old memories. No matter what, even if I made a million, to these people I would still be nouveau rich and never part of that inner circle.
For example, my good friend is a very good attorney and very smart. She pretty much produces more work for a secretary than four attorneys. She is on her way to partner in her firm. One of the inner rich circles of the rich of our hometown is an attorney at a rival firm. She will not even acknowledge that she exists let alone they are from the same home town. I find this funny in the city the size of our capital. Leaving your roots frees most people of their fears.
I hate that I feel like I am on the outside looking in with these people when I come here. I don’t have the passport to make it to the other side of the fence. The few chances I have had to get to the other side, I have run from them…. Where I live now, I embrace every opportunity to do so…more like run if I am invited. For some reason, I feel it is my place not to go in this snobby, clique place… otherwise; I walk in everywhere else and situation like I own the place. I am glad this *fear* hasn’t followed around the world and into my real life. After examining this, I realized that I will never be able to move into a small town! Big cities only! :)

NOTE: What blows me away is that I never, ever, see this clique at Wal-Mart EVER. Surely, they don't by their toilet paper out of town, too, or pay their house keepers to do it? I guess that most of them don't work so they might not go during the weekends...or, they pay someone! LOL! :)

No comments: