Tuesday, January 13, 2009

I only live in the bubble

(c)
(d)
(a)
(b)
(d)
One reason why I've stayed in this community, neighborhood hopping in the same great big central OKC bubble, is the art scene. We've got galleries in the Paseo, at the Fairgrounds and downtown, with really nice art openings. And I've seen some really cool stuff that gets the inspiration pumping. The only problem with attending art openings is running into art-loving ex-boyfriends because the community's pretty small.

I keep an eye on upcoming events by subscribing to the Oklahoma Visual Arts Coalition online newsletter, and write down on my calendar all the events that look interesting (and for me, don't cost to get in...because I'm poor). Go here to visit the OVAC web site, and browse the work by local artists here.

My ultimate local favorites are Paul Mays (a), Ruth Ann Borum (b), Tunde Darvay (c), and Sarah Hearn (d). These are my own personal favorites, but I'll cover some more popular favorites and galleries where they show in another blog.

I think Oklahoma has a great art community that can be even more great if we could just reach out further into the communities and get people in Midwest City, Yukon, Moore, etc. as excited about art as we are here in "the bubble." If there's one thing I believe in, it's that art is for everyone...everyone can create, and creation is a very human act. I mean...look at me, I'm a blue collar poor kid living amongst crackheads and prostitutes and I'm involved in the art scene!

2 comments:

Amenator said...

I want to do the stroll on Paseo with you...round one on me... ;)

OR, we could pack a flask... ;)

Anonymous said...

Okay! Let's go on the next warm Walk. (the cold kills my will to live!)

We can walk from my house!