Wednesday, November 12, 2008

If a tree falls...

This isn't really related to pop culture. It's related to being a single thirty-something in Oklahoma.

I love where my career's leading me, my new house and neighborhood, and the Oklahoma economy isn't as bad as it is in other places. I have great friends who are my family, and of course my family's here.

I feel like, as a single thirty-something woman, that I've landed in sort of a permanent place relationship-wise. I've dated for a million years, and it hasn't happened yet, so I'm kind of putting in my resignation in on the dating thing. I no longer have the emotional stamina for failure, so it's time to retire the jersey.

So now what I have to decide is if I want to be single in Oklahoma or go find some other state where it's more exciting and encouraging to be in my thirties and single. Do they make places like that? I've lived in Oklahoma all my life, but now I'm coming to a point where I have to choose it. I have to think about why I choose it, and why I'd choose another city to be single in...if the good stuff in the other city is better than what I have here.

I'm just not feeling like I have a place here. At work I've made my place. But regarding issues unrelated to career, I wonder if I could be more valuable somewhere else? Or find more personal fulfillment? Or a solid relationship with some fella?

But I guess what it comes down to is I don't want to be single anywhere right now. I kind of want something to count on at the end of the day...even if it's imperfect or isn't for forever. At least I can feel at home somewhere at some time. I just want to feel what it's like.

Other than that, you gals have fun in NO. I went to dinner with the author who's presenting tomorrow, and he speaks as brilliantly as he writes. I'm looking forward to it.

No comments: