Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Yes We Can became YES, WE DID!!!

I stood in line for an hour to vote this morning, even though the state is saturated with red....

And this evening I went to the watch party at the Skirvin, and it felt so great to be with so many passionate and excited people! A few people ran up to me and asked, "What's going on?" And when I got to tell them, "We won!" They hugged me. I felt so good to have something so important to me in common with so many other good folks. As my friends and I walked to the car, we could hear people cheering on the rooftops around us...it was like a dream!

We went to a local bar to watch Obama's speech. Some guy walked in with a guitar and interrupted with some racist comments. They kicked him out and called the cops.

I can't believe this is happening...change is hard, but the struggle's producing positive fruits right before our eyes!! And when the rest of the world is celebrating with us, it makes me finally feel like I'm part of the world....not living in a country that's against it.

I feel something I've never felt before...love for my country, pride in the people who decided that the country needs to change direction, and I feel that President Obama will restore dignity to the presidency. I have to admit....in the past eight years, I've lost respect for the presidency, but now I'm nearly in tears with pride. I'll be so happy and proud to have Barack Obama as my leader...and to claim my nationality to the rest of the world with pride! :)

1 comment:

Freya said...

I was driving in the car at the moment I found out, but I saw the pictures from all over the world. The video of celebrations in cities across the US made me think it must have been like being in a Christmas movie where it snows on Christmas Eve, even though no one expected it. A Christmas miracle indeed.