Thursday, November 6, 2008

white power?

My friend just called. She said she that as she was driving to school earlier today, a guy in a truck was tailgating her. Eventually he pulled along beside her, and yelled "WHITE POWER!" out the window.

I've been thinking about how every single county in Oklahoma voted red, and how the state Senate is republican too...just like the House (which I sincerely lament, as the Democratic Senate majority was one thing that gave me hope for positive direction of the state. Have you seen some of the bills that were initiated in the House??)

And then I'm thinking about proposition 8 in California, and how gay marriage shouldn't even be an issue anywhere when there are children starving to death as I write this. And how Proposition 8 is like saying, "We don't like you, gay people." Please....please explain to me in practical terms why same sex marriage is bad.

I'm also thinking about evangelist voters, and single issue voters who hold 24-hour prayer vigils at IHOP for God's Chosen Candidate to win.

So that leads me to this point: I think that our nation's experiencing growing pains, just like it did during the civil rights era. Not just speaking of equality for same-sex couples, but for other things that we need to press ahead on. I think it's time to move forward, and it's evidenced in our choice for president. However, I think that the other half of the country is digging in their heals against progression. I think they're stuck in the old way...they want to keep things the same. I think the country's passionately polarized, and it's causing people to get worked up. Obviously it's causing the skinheads to come out of the closet. And personally, I'd be ashamed to be racist or homophobic, because it reflects a lack of intelligence.

And back to the racist and same sex marriage issue: I'm tired of the intolerance. I'm ready to move on to important issues, and I'm extremely disappointed that the state I live in disagrees.

I'm sorry...I'm tired, so this might not be coming across as I'd like for it to. Should I only write when I'm feeling coherent and cohesive? Whatever.

1 comment:

Erin Williams said...

I hear you sister! Seriously? How is anyone else's marriage going to affect anothers? It isn't. It's a hate vote. I find that the conservative people in this country need to band together and hate something. Currently they hate gays and women. What will they have to keep them together if they can't hate? It's very sad.