Monday, October 13, 2008

Harrison Bergeron

Our society seems to be striving to reach perfect equality. Schools, in particular, seem to think that by removing all actions that might lead to a child’s experience of negative emotions is the best option. I don’t know exactly where this theory comes from; it seems absurd to think that a child’s school years can be completely free of jealousy, rejection, anger, and I’m sure a million other things.

Even if this were to be achieved, (through some miracle) at some point these children would become adults, and no longer sheltered by the school system. They would be thrust into a world filled with a range of emotions, and no idea how to react to negative emotion. It seems that it would be more useful to teach children how to deal with negative emotion instead of pretending it doesn’t exist.

As a child, if I had been fitted with handicaps like Harrison Bergeron, I would have never had the opportunity to develop into the person that I am. The idea is quite horrifying: headphones playing loud sounds so that I can’t think better than others, a mask to hide what might be above average looks, weights around my neck to keep me from outperforming others athletically. Expecting everyone to be the same is foolish and potentially dangerous. Sometimes, though, I think of this story and wish that loud sounds would interrupt the incessant thinking.

http://instruct.westvalley.edu/lafave/hb.html

1 comment:

Erin Williams said...

I think Hazel and George are a good represnetation of the General American public. Nice well meaning folks who aren't that bright and are content to watch TV. Although in real life no one put them there except themselves.