Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Somebody's Got a Case of the Tuesdays

Recently, thoughts of running away have been strong, thinking about being on a beach somewhere feeling the sun on my face, or in some remote cottage in Ireland living a simple life instead of at a noisy gas station in the Midwest, surrounded by people who I can’t seem to relate to while ambulances and police cars scream past.

I’d like to leave; skip leaving the time zone, and have one of those time jumps like in Star Trek when the holodeck malfunctions and they are stuck in some Film Noir detective story. I want to exist in a science fiction reality where everything is new and different, and they have whole planets devoted to pleasure instead of a world where pleasure is most often difficult to come by, and tempered by pain.

I want to live in a fantasy world, where I am the Chosen One, and despite my deceptively simple nature, am destined to save the world. I want to struggle to complete impossible things and see impossible things happen around me; I want to develop enduring bonds to other people as we complete Herculean tasks, instead of being isolated in a cubicle to make money for some old guys with lots of money to begin with.

1 comment:

Erin Williams said...

My heart, I believe most people make their escape through TV. I'm sorry that is not enough for you.

I don't suppose the Twin Lakes would suffice?