Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Motherhood Blahs

So the economy sucks. I think we’re all aware of this. And even though gas prices have fallen suspiciously low (considering there is a presidential election next week), I’m hurting. Even working two jobs, I’m having trouble providing for the family.

They need clothes and jackets and shoes, and hoodies. Hoodies are very important. Lora Mae gave me a nice, new hoodie sweater, so I’m good on the hoodie front. I like it because it is smaller than the other one so it’s a lot closer to fitting, plus it’s a blue that is really close to the blue of my eyes. See, hoodies are very distracting and necessary items.

I would like to buy myself some new clothes and jackets and shoes, but I don’t see that in my future. Most of my clothes don’t fit. Most of my clothes are given to me by other people. Today, the only thing I’m wearing that I bought are my shoes (and my underthings. No one gives me those.)

I feel like I look like typical mom in tattered sweaters, tennis shoes and jeans that bag around the ass. So not attractive. I want to cut off my hair again. I had a dream that I was cutting it myself and it was very satisfying, but I was having the thought that I probably shouldn’t do that before Cotton Candy’s wedding.

I guess this post has kind of veered from the original focus, but it is clear in my mind; a lot of women I know, especially mothers, are suffering from the downturn in the economy. It may seem superficial, but there is a lot of sacrifice to taking care of other people, and even though people always tell mothers that they have to take care of themselves too, most of us will forgo what they want (and sometimes what they need) in order to take care of our babies.

2 comments:

Amenator said...

well, most of my clothe have cat pee on them....

Erin Williams said...

This motherhood thing is going to be harder then I thought. I'm not particularly good at not getting the things I want. Does practice make it any easier?