Saturday, October 4, 2008

My boring race story that I'm excited about

Let me preface this: i love to run, but my stamina's crappy because I don't eat. If I can get in 1000 calories a day, I'm doing great. So all week, in preparation for this race, I've been eating every meal, rounded meals, and testing out a new energy supplement. Also, due to shin splints, my training's been half-assed over the last few weeks. In fact, I haven't run much over the summer.

This morning my friends showed up at my house and we went to do the Race for the Cure. We couldn't find our team members, so I couldn't get my number or timing chip. My excitement about the race was matched by my disappointment in not being able to compete. I was actually on the verge of tears (yes, I'm a BIG BABY, but like I've said before....if I didn't run, I'd certainly be an alcoholic). I live for races.

After the gun went off, I was still hanging around the cheering section with my spectator friends. They began pushing me to go run despite my lack of a number or anything. I mean, hey....I paid for the race! I hesitated for a couple of minutes, then took the bait.

I got in behind about three trillion walkers and slowly worked my way up to the joggers, then worked my way up to the runners. I was slow and steady (by my standard), but passed several runners. When I saw a camera up ahead I looked at the number of the person next to me so I could still look at my picture online (2055). I finished the race without breaking much of a sweat. The easiest 5K I've ever run...it was like taking a walk. I guess I should've gone for speed, but at this point all i wanted was to finish without stopping. Yay, calorie intake and nutritional fore-thought!!!!!

When I got close to the finish line, I heard my friends yelling my name and cheering...I've never had anyone waiting for me at the finish line, so it made me so happy to see them! After I finished, I was still a little irritated that I didn't have a timing chip (even though I had the best run ever as far as stamina goes). My friend Jennifer came to meet me and said I was "booking it," that her friend who finished about a minute before me, finished at 34 minutes, and she started up front with the runners. That meant I was at 35 minutes, then....but I'd started late. So not only did I finish, but looks like I made good time. I'm very pleased. I accomplished something that I've never accomplished before. And it was so easy......!

3 comments:

Amenator said...

I am excited you ran sooooo fast, too! I cheered you on from my bed reading...and I hope you got a lot of *FREE* goods! :)

Anonymous said...

I did! Maybe next time we can go together!!

Freya said...

Congrats! That's a great accomplishment.