Tuesday, September 9, 2008

I run away

I just got back from a run. I haven't run in a while, because I bought my house and the state turned into a pressure cooker over the last two months. It might sound dramatic to say this, but running really is an act of survival for me. The past couple of winters have dragged me down into a maelstrom the equivalent of an emotional black hole, and nothing...not even antidepressants...can pull me out. I usually surf through winter on a bottle of vodka a week because I'm not running.

But running saves me. The first run of the spring or fall...that saves me, and it's exhilarating. Nothing else gives me clarity or relieves my stress like running does. When I run, the things that have been seriously getting to me fall away, and I think about things in a more positive way. It gives me energy, and when I run I can't hate my existence. I don't know why....it just happens that way.

Thank god I have a treadmill to get me through this winter.

2 comments:

Freya said...

Whatever works for you. It sounds very peaceful

Erin Williams said...

Mmm... and with your treadmill you can drink vodka and run. Although I would recommend wearing a helmet, just in case.