Friday, September 26, 2008

Blue in a Red State



To quote some comments on a blog that's countering disputes over Obama's Christianity:

"The thing I have against him is that he does not believe in the flag. How can you run our country and not believe in the flag. The flag has had many of our nations people's blood spilled over it to preserve it. The moment we elect someone whom does not care about it how can we call ourselves americans."

"Whether he is a Christian or not is inconsequential. He sat for twenty years and listened to Rev. Wright spew out rhetoric, bash America and white people. It wasn't until all of that became public that Obama denounced his allegiance to Rev. Wright. After the Rev. married he and Michelle, and baptized his two children. Would you attend a church for twenty years led by a man you didn't agree with his core principles????"

And a friend's comment on some local events:

"Did you see on the news the other night that some people got their Obama signs vandalized?? The same thing happened to my sister's house. Hers was spray painted and even shot at with a gun. The fact that someone would do such a thing to someone elses property and shoot a gun where people live breaks my heart."

*****************************************************************************

Come on, guys. Calm down. Get your facts straight. And for those of you vandalizing signs, stop. It's silly, and makes you look ridiculous.

For me personally, since I heard about Obama on NPR a few years ago I've really liked him. I was impressed, and that feeling's only grown with time. It's not that I don't like McCain. I admire the guy...he's got an amazing story. But I stronly adhere to Obama's ideals.

The things that I've wanted for this country, for myself and for my little sister and brother have been prohibited for years. It's just been a crescendo of deterioration. Before GWB I trusted the presidency and had respect for the executive branch. Then one day I realized that I automatically assume that everything that comes out of the executive branch has an agenda that I don't trust. I can't help it...it's shirked its own dignity with its persistent opacity.

When government actions or in-actions affect my own personal daily life in ways so frustrating, so negative and sometimes so profoundly, it becomes important to really study these candidates and come to a confident understanding of which one will be the best to "turn the country around," as they say. I don't want my sister to live in a world where I struggled so hard for my dreams, but didn't achieve them. I know my lack of success is due to the affects of the GWB administration's time in office.

When I graduated with my BA, I graduated into the beginnings of a rapidly worsening economy. I was the only one in my family who managed to get a job. My dad, mom, sister and brother...all four adults, and my parents both well educated....they reminded me of the Joads, standing around wondering how to save themselves. I prepared myself to take care of them on my little salary, because they're my family.

I was okay with McCain. I didn't prefer him for president, but he wasn't too awfully bad. But then I saw the RNC.

No comments: