Friday, September 5, 2008

Is this thing on?

I'm at the point in my life where I'm wondering why I live in a country where a big bunch of folks think peeling back gun control laws is okay, but gay marriage isn't? A gun's a weapon...a gun could kill me if the right psychopath came along with one. Is this something we can all agree on?

Gay marriage can't kill me. A couple of gay psychopaths...THEY could kill me. But technically, a gay marriage can in no way kill me. Or seriously injure me.

Guns are cool, but for some reason a mind that's anti-gun control AND anti-gay marriage escapes my sense of logic.

To re-cap: I'm for guns, but also for gun-control...because guns can kill or injure me. I'm for marriage, but also for gay marriage...because gay marriage can't kill or injure me.

So why is gay marriage a hugely ridiculous national issue again?

Other than that:

I'm a thirty year old heterosexual woman. Throughout my twenties when my girlfriends were falling in love and getting married, I was falling in love with guys who were everything from neglectful to abusive to me. At thirty, I'm worse for the wear after dating a string of heterosexual assholes. Can't a hot college-educated girl like me get a break? I guess what I'm trying to say is that after ten years of trying to come to terms with being a single thirty-something in a social construct where over 90% of women get married....the disappointments, the broken hearts, the loneliness...I believe to the depths of my experience that if you can find someone who you love and respect, and who loves and respects you...then MORE POWER TO YOU!

Love's a beautiful thing, and I know this, because I've been an outsider to it for all of my adult life. If you're lesbian, gay, stright, black, white, orange, disabled, abled, smart, stupid, support gun control or are anti-gun control...if you find love, isn't that amazing?? Aren't you lucky? I'd never take that away from anyone, just because I know how rare it is to find that. That's why the idea of people protesting same-sex marriage hurts my heart....don't take love away, because it's a luxury that some of us don't have!

And besides that, how exactly is it going to affect me when my neighbors are a gay couple? Gay marriage = hydrogen bomb? Haha! How silly. Wait, I do have gay neighbors....and they're actually the only people on the block who've been friendly to me since I've moved in.

2 comments:

Erin Williams said...

Watch out Chutah, they could kill you with kindness. But oh, what a way to go?

Freya said...

I have to agree. Love is always better. My black, cynical heart wants to caution the gay people to form a new kind of union, however. A new institution, with a new name and everything. I know they'll come up with an awesome union, and all the straights will be clamoring to have the same thing.