Wednesday, September 17, 2008

We All Live in a Yellow Submarine

I would like to start by saying that natural disasters suck and it sucks to lose your house.

Has anyone ever been to Galveston? Ok, imagine a beautiful beach, like the one on your screen saver. Now, instead of blue water, color it brown because the water is full of trash and pollution. Now imagine a smell like when the sewer backs up and leaks and mixes with rotting fish. Voila - Galveston, TX.


So I get the draw to build on the beach and risk life and limb to live someplace beautiful like San Diego; I don't get Galveston. Why not just live in a wet trashcan, it's Hurricane free? I should feel sorry for people who have lost their homes, but seriously? This is a chance for you to get out, escape, live out of the trash!

And for those who rebuild, you don't deserve insurance. I wouldn't insure you, d’uh, you think this was the last Hurricane of the century? Hope you have a nice savings because if I get my way the government won’t bale your sorry ass out either. Why should I pay because you’re stupid and build on a beach? Same goes for those of you who live on cliffs prone to mudslides or in forests where there are fires every year. MOVE. It’s a buyers market.

3 comments:

Freya said...

I’m not going to argue that it is not risky behavior to live in a house on stilts on the beach on a gulf that is prone to hurricanes. I am going to argue, however, that the same could pretty much be said for just about anywhere a person lives. People must think people in the Midwest are crazy because yearly, we experience multiple tornadoes, and people continually rebuild and build new houses. That’s pretty crazy. There’s a pretty decent chance you’ll get hit by a tornado. But at least it doesn’t smell like rotting fish.

Amenator said...

Um, I have never been to Galvaston, however, I have been to Houston...I don't plan on ever going back...ever again... It was like living on the sun...wait...that is Arizona... I cannot imagine what it must be like without any air conditioning!

Erin Williams said...

I would just like to point out that actually it is very different. The houses on stilts on the beach were all demolished 6 years ago in 2002 and before that Galveston was washed off the face of the earth in 1992. But still, they rebuilt. The house I lived in in OK was never hit by a tornado. It's been there for over 20 years. Same for all 40 houses in a 1 miles radius. So as you can see, from an investment stand point, it makes sense to rebuild a house once every 20-40 years then once every 5-10 years. Or with global warming upon us, every 2-5 years. I'm just saying, as a tax payer.