Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Creative Energy

*At the risk of my boyfriend calling me a "hipster," I need to express that I'm big into this art and design stuff. I want it like an evangelical wants truth.....I need art and design in my environment, even if I have to create it myself.

When I go to a new city, I'm thrilled to discover new things...new culture, design, architecture, history, art in public places. As the Oklahoma Art in Public Places page states, " Public art reflects the local environment, cultural values and artistic vitality...and provides a vehicle for [communities to express their identity]."

I want to see the unexpected and unfamiliar everywhere...even in my own neighborhood...because I've got a thing for ideas. Seeing something different, new, or innovativeis exciting and makes ideas bubble up in my own mind. Creative energy is thrilling.

I was in an unnamed Oklahoma town a few weeks ago, and I couldn't help but feel the drag of disappointment when I realized it was like many other small Oklahoma towns. The Chiliswalmartcitgotargethobbylobbycvswalgreensribcriblowesbiglots and french provincial-style mcmansions with their endless oceans of pitched roofs didn't give off anything remotely unique or display any historic or cultural identity. I know there's got to be something different about this community...right?

I'm not just talking about a statue on a corner or another sculpture of a buffalo. I'm talking about functional art, architecture, parks designed for relaxation. I'm talking about making something ordinary and, whether people like it or not*, making it interesting.

* and you know, I might not like it, but if it gives me something to think about...i support it!

1 comment:

Freya said...

I know what you mean. When I visit other cities, I feel the need to take pictures of beautiful things like architectural details that are sadly lacking here. Art in public places is not very common. It could be like a scavenger hunt trying to find some in the city. I wish the arts in general were more present in the state.