Saturday, August 23, 2008

I saw my ex tonight

Theatre was not my first love. But I think it has been my most constant one. When I first left the theatre, I couldn't watch it, didn't want to think about it. It was like seeing your ex with someone new; knowing that they are moving on without you, and are happy. It's not just a vocation, it isn't always about art. Theatre is mostly concerned with people. Theatre people develop families, and they scream and fight and make you crazy and love you just as much as your biological family.

It's a unique thing. All these people come together, make something as a group, and present it for the pleasure of an audience. It's not totally selfless, because face it, theatre people crave attention and they definitely benefit. It celebrates something basic and intrinsic to being a human being. It is as old as civilization, and while it may not hold as important place as it used to, it will always be with us.

Being around this theatre and the family they had created made me wistful. Not the overwhelming jealousy like before, but more like when you can see that person again and remember the good times. These people were working hard to live their dream. Some working two jobs, some living on almost nothing, all so they can do the thing they love, the thing that they feel is the most important. I couldn't help but think that these were very brave people, to commit themselves to the theatre despite the difficulties, and envious because they have turned out to be a more constant lover than me.

No comments: