Thursday, August 21, 2008

Cross Cultural Confusion


Yesterday, I watched Bleach (Disc 2, Season 1) and it brought a couple of interesting questions to mind. First was "Why do the Japanese insist on making these characters 15, so I feel creeping for wanting Ichigo?" which requires further study, and another day.

Sitting and watching Bleach made me feel relaxed and more centered somehow. I thought how strange it was that I felt more like myself for watching a cartoon. I really love the cartoon. It has a cool story, I love the animation, it has great characters. But I have nothing to do with it. Why do I have an attachment to a story that isn’t remotely similar to my own?

I've formed a bond with a mode of expression that belongs to another culture. I'm not Japanese, apparently older than the target audience (see above, underage hotness), and I don’t fight evil spirits walking on earth.

So why does it feel so right to watch a teenager with spiky orange hair wield a humongous sword and slay skeletal demons? I think I can see the appeal of the huge sword now that I think about it, but skeletal demons, not so much. I guess that's why we liberal arts majors spend so much time studying, talking, and thinking about universal themes. And getting degrees that don't lead to paying jobs.

2 comments:

Michael Sheyahshe said...

Listen:
Do you REALLY need a reason to like something that is SO COOL?
Even though I don't care for the Bleach storyline, I still find myself watching it for the visual spectacle and eye candy.
Same could be said for MANY other visual forms...but anime is a great place to start !
What about The Boondocks, Afro Samurai, Ghost in the Machine, or even the long-lost Champloo? (we shall ignore Inuyasha and Full Metal Alchemist for sake of talking about GOOD anime...heh).
-B.P.

Freya said...

I completely agree about Inuyasha, but there is something very interesting about Fullmetal Alchemist, although I can’t really get into it. I never really thought about the animation of Boondocks being done in the anime style, but now I can see it.

The early Bleach story line is very good, in my opinion, but it is pretty much guaranteed that the longer an anime goes, the worse the stories get. An inverse action. But then again, I love Fruits Basket. I can’t decide between Yuki and Kyo, they’re both so delicious.