Saturday, August 16, 2008

McIvory Tower

I'm an ivory tower snob. I know this. I'm not really proud of it. I've had the opportunity to teach at two Big 12 schools. It was wonderful. The environment was academic, it was conducive to thinking in new ways. I had a faculty meeting for some adjuncting that I'll be doing for a chain-style educational racket. I'm excited to teach again, but I don't know if I can handle the corporate approach to learning. Instead of free thinking and freedom for the structure of the class, the teacher is bound by metrics and existing course design. The education is a product; the students are the consumer. And while this is true at any institution of learning, academic integrity is usually held in higher regard than customer service surveys.

It was all a little mercenary for my tastes. They took something that I love, an environment designed to incubate new ideas and ways of thinking, and made a pretty close copy and mass produced it. The end result was a little like something written by David Mamet, where we're "In it to win it" and "coffee is for closers."

No comments: