Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Reading Slump

For several years, I was in a reading slump. I couldn't find anything to read that I felt I couldn't put down. I was constantly looking for something to read that was a great story and something I couldn't put down.

I finally discovered it. At the library book sale last spring, I finally picked up a book I had been dying to read, "Water for Elephants". This awakened a need to read, if you will. I could not put it down. I was on my way to DC to visit my friends. The plane was delayed for over an hour on the tarmac in OKC. I started reading the book before we boarded and I could hardly put my suitcase up because I was dying to know what happened. I read the book for the hour we were stuck on the tarmac and the whole 3 hours in the air. I had 45 pages left when we landed. I tried to read it in the car but I didn't want to be rude to my hosts, so I put it away. We went onto our Steve Miller Band concert and partied the night away.

When I awake the next morning, I had to finish those 45 pages. I told my friend we couldn't do anything until I finished this book. So, I sat on her couch and finished it. Every 5 minutes, she would ask me if I was done yet. I was like 10 more minutes.

When I was done with it, I was elated. It was fantastic to read a book, a great book and feel good about finishing it.

1 comment:

Freya said...

I'm guilty of purchasing this book for my grandmother, because I just knew it would be good, but not trying to read it myself, because I've gotten lazy. I haven't read anything worthwhile in months. Maybe I'll get motivated soon. LoraMae may be all the inspiration I need.